Saturday, February 28, 2009

Euro Supermarkt!! Alles helal!! :):)

Guten Morgen alles!

Day 5, I went to Darmstadt again.. We left the student residence at 12noon.. We were supposed to see Frau Nothnagel in her office, BUT I forgot she works until 1pm.. I dont get it!! Why until 1pm??!

So we went to Darmstadt.. Walked to TU Darmstadt and we walked by the park.. The park is beside the uni, so it nice.. It's just open space, people were just walking around, cycling, walking their dogs etc..

This is one of the uni buildings.. Big, yeah?

The open green area.. I guess when it's warmer, we can just lie here and read a book or something..

This is Prince Georg's Garden.. Right now, it's not pretty.. haha!

There's this sundial thingy.. Any mathematicians wanna figure out how this works? Those that took Heaven Mathematics? Those that took Understanding the Universe? I can give you more photos of it.. haha!

Me, still in the garden.. hehe!

I have no idea what this is.. But its pretty, so wth! haha!

This must be a church, its near the uni..

We walked to another area, which I think is nice.. You'll see old folks playing some game here.. Dont know what la.. That's Gerardo btw..

Walid Jumblatt, here you go! Another photo of me! :p:p:p


This is a very nice church.. Its quite small.. I dont even know if there's people inside.. Lol!

This is near Luisenplatz.. Its the city centre..

I felt bad that I made Gerardo follow me to find the mosque.. An old lady I asked early said it was on Müller Straße, but I couldnt find it.. Its all residential buildings.. Perhaps its one of them.. Btw, we happened to be near there, thats why we tried finding the mosque.. Then I brought Gerardo to the lake.. And we walked along Soder Straße, so I know there happen to be one Muslim food place, according to the online website, zahibah.com.. So we ate there.. There, I asked the man about the mosque.. He couldnt tell me exactly where.. Then I asked about a supermarket with halal food.. He also dont know which road and how to give directions.. So I thought I'll need to ask someone else again.. And I asked about prayer times.. He actually gave me his whole calendar, with all the prayer times!! He was soooooo nice la!! He said he'll buy for himself another one tmr.. Soooo nice!! Then while we were eating, 3 men came in.. One was an ang-mo, btw.. They were all Muslims.. Very cool! They helped me alot.. Gave me directions, gave me an online website for prayer times in Germany.. And one of them, Ahmed, drove me and Gerardo to the halal supermarket! Euro Supermarkt! Alhamdulillah!! I was sooooooo happy!! And Ahmed also gave me the number of a Muslim Indon sister.. She lives in Darmstadt.. He told me to call her! I will.. Soon!! When I get my German no., insyaAllah... Alhamdulillah! All these while, Gerardo was so fasinated la! He's Catholic btw..

Anyway, I find it really interesting that it's difficult to find water! Water to drink!! I think we in Singapore take things for granted, like drinkable tapwater! I had to buy mineral water everytime!! Goodness! And interestingly, the bottle of water cost 0,19 euros, plus 0,25 euros.. That is like a deposit.. If you return the empty bottle, you'll get back your 0,25 euros! Power la! So environmentally-friendly! And of course, they dont give plastic bags at all! Either you bring your own bag, or buy one for 0,10 euros?? Thats the cheapest.. Its really cool! I like~....

Das ist alles! Tschus! [That's all! Bye!]

5 comments:

cyberia_j said...

Hello!! How are you? Hee.. your blog has no tag board.. so here i'm posting a comment.. :):) happily reading abt ur adventures in Germany and glad to know u're enjoying urself and very lucky to be meeting so many nice ppl!! take care!! -Seo

Walid said...

Yar man...Nice people galore! And you look very happy.=)

Eh, understanding the universe people also can read sundial okay!

wak said...

oh requirement for Understanding Universe must read sundial eh? Alamak looks like I'm lagging behind..

shaza said...

Walid Jumblatt! U sure or not, u can read the sundial???

And wak! U're taking understanding the universe eh?? Nothing abt sundial right? Probably u're still on track! hehe..

Fahmi said...

Hey Shaza, nice to see that you're doing fine there.

And yeah, Frau Verry over in NUS mentioned before that the Germans have a very environmentally-friendly culture. So interesting to hear it from your point of view though!

And yeah, she also did say that mineral water there is actually sparkling water. Or something like that.

Come on, throw to me more interesting facts (:

Fahmi